SFAR 73 or Special Federal Aviation Regulation 73 deals with the special training and experience requirements for anyone operating a Robinson R22 or R44 helicopter. The Awareness Training is just part of that regulation.
The SFAR 73 Awareness Training covers energy management, low RPM leading to rotor stall and low G hazards leading to mast bumping. The training is required before anyone can manipulate the controls of an R22/R44.
Learn more about SFAR 73 Awareness Training with this short video:
- SFAR 73 regulation on the FAA website
- Robinson R22 Pilot Operating Handbook (POH)
- Robinson R44 Pilot Operating Handbook (POH)
- FAA Helicopter Flying Handbook – see sections on Emergencies & Hazards
- US Army video on mast bumping
- Frank Robinson talking about Low G Mast Bumping
- Frank Robinson talking about Low RPM Rotor Stall (warning graphic)
- Frank Robinson talking about on Energy Management